Tuesday, April 15, 2014

White Coat Ceremony

What is a White Coat Ceremony?

In the simplest idea the white coat ceremony is a ceremony where professional students in various health care fields (medicine, dentistry, optometry, physical therapy, etc) receive their white coat.  However (and thankfully) the white coat ceremony is more than the dawning of a piece of clothing it represents a major milestone in one's professional life. It is the start of a new journey as a health care professional with new responsibilities and duties. Many professional programs hold the ceremony soon after classes start (or even before) signifying the start of their professional training. At our program it is held at the end of our didactic phase, thus signifying the transition to the clinical phase.
Regardless of when the ceremony is held, it is important to take a moment to reflect on the hard work of the past and to look forward to the new challenges that lie ahead.

What is the PA code of ethics?

I pledge to perform the following duties with honesty and dedication:

I will hold as my primary responsibility the health , safety, welfare and dignity of all human beings.

I will uphold the tenets of patient autonomy, beneficence, nonmaleficence and justice. 

I will recognize and promote the vale of diversity. 

I will treat equally all persons who seek my care. 

I will hold in confidence the information shared in the course of practicing medicine. 

I will assess my personal capabilities and limitations, striving always to improve my medical practice.

I will actively seek to expand my knowledge and skills, keeping abreast of advances in medicine.

I will work with other members of the health care team to provide compassionate and effective care of patients. 

I will use my knowledge and experience to contribute to an improved community.

I will respect my professional relationship with the physician.

I will share and expand knowledge within the profession.

These duties are pledged with sincerity and upon my honor. 

-American Academy of Physician Assistants


Pictures from My White Coat Ceremony