Thursday, August 22, 2013

Have you heard of the PANCE? No not your pants!

PANCE stands for Physician Assistant National Certification Exam.  The National Commission on Certification of Physician Assistant (NCCPA) is responsible for creating and maintaing the integrity of the PANCE. Basically they make sure the PANCE is difficult and that if you are able to pass that test you are going to be fit to be a PA (at least on paper). If you are starting PA school soon it would behove (yes I just used that word) you to look at the student section of their website and check out the content blueprint they give for the exam.


(Notice I used Skitch here. What is Skitch? Check out my previous blog post: When studying gets difficult don't itch SKITCH)

They break it down by Organ System and Task

What I have done is focus on the organ systems, and I created a PANCE notebook within my Evernote (How I use Evernote Part 1 and Part 2). I then created a note for each organ system and within each note I retyped up the diseases that is given in the blueprint. And it was nice to see that I have covered most of them in my first year of PA school. Then I started linking the disease to my previous notes and objectives on the same topic.  This is all with the idea that one it comes time for studying the PANCE I have a very complete and organized study guide. (Is this idea a little OCD, probably but hey if it helps you all I am happy to share.) 

If you have started using Evernote, please let me know how it is going.